January 10, 1884
Sumner County Press
* A Baptist church of twenty odd members was organized at Mayfield recently.
* Will Milne came in last week from Iowa with a car load of cattle for a brother-in-law who will make Kansas his home.
* Saturday afternoon two car loads of goods and stock landed for another new comer.
* Mayfield is to have a new hotel which is under process of erection. If not as large as the Arlington, will be quite an addition to Mayfield.
* Another wedding took place last week at Mayfield. Mr. Henry Evans, who for so long a time has been his own cook, has at last succumbed to the joys of a "Benedict life." Now that the matrimonial market has opened, we hope to be able to report every week. (Elaine's note: An old dictionary defines "Benedict" as newly married man.")